Night Vision Goggle (NVG) Course - Initial
The Night Vision Goggle (NVG) Course is designed for pilots seeking initial or recurrent night vision goggle training. This course will satisfy the requirements set forth in 14 CFR Part 61.31(k).
The Airbus H125 helicopter is used to conduct night vision goggle flight training for this course. The course schedule consists of 5 training days with 8 hours on day 1 of classroom training and 6 hours per student of flight training over the course of 4 night flights. At course completion, pilots will have basic knowledge on the safe use of night vision goggles and will be receive a graduation certificate upon successful completion of the course.
- Initial qualification for commercial pilots.
- Pilots must pass a 30 question written examination and satisfactorily complete all maneuvers.
Ground Training Content:
- Aeromedical factors related to the use of night vision goggles
- Goggle evolution and operation
- Sources of night light
- NVG visual acuity
- Meteorological conditions and NVG
- Crew resource management specific to NVG operations
- NVG failures
- NVG maneuver review
Flight Training Content:
- Basic aircraft maneuvers - commercial standards and NVG specific (4 hours)
- Emergency procedures (1 hour)
- Inadvertent IMC penetration (0.5 hours)
- Spatial disorientation (0.5 hours)
- Hold an FAA Helicopter Pilot certificate
- Hold at least a second class medical certificate
- Current helicopter experience
- Minimum of 300 hours flight time in the same aircraft series
- In special circumstances, any of the above requirements may be waived with Chief Instructor approval.